Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Log Cabin Quilt Along

Well I posted the instructions about the Log Cabin Block several weeks ago on the MSQC forum... in fact I've already posted the Square in a Square block instructions there too! As I was getting ready to post them here I realized I'd forgotten to post the Log Cabin instructions. So, I'm posting them now and I'll post the square in a square in a few days :) *oops*


So, Anyway, Here's the log Cabin Block!


This block is fun because basically what your doing is taking strips in graduating sizes and starting from the center you simply add a piece, & turn your block, add a strip, turn your block, add a strip, etc! Really pretty simple :) you just go around and around the center square until all the strips are on and your block is as big as you want it!



First you'll want to get out your strips from the bag labeled Log cabin

and separate your stacks by size.



I found it helpful to lay out my block on the table in the order that it would be put together. I'll reference sizes in the post but you can use this picture as a reference.



step 1 place the 2" squares from your Primary and Secondary colors right sides together

It's helpful to chain stitch these.

I still have one block laid so I can see what direction my pieces are going together but I chain stitch each group to save time and thread :)
sew and press open.

Woohoo! Your on your way! Your block now looks like this...

Your primary color should be at the top. Repeat this step for all seven sets of 2" squares. (chain stitch!)



2. Lay the 3.5" Secondary color strip on top of your sewn pieces right sides together.

sew & press open. Repeat with all seven sets. To assist in chain sewing I lay my blocks out in front of my sewing machine all facing the same direction

Then I lay the next piece on top

and send them all through the machine one after the other. This helps assure the they all get sewn facing the same direction. This is particularly important as you get more & more strips on. You want to make sure your pieces are sewn to the correct side :)
Here we are!




3. Lay the 3.5" Primary color strip on top of your sewn pieces right sides together.

When you lay out your blocks for chain sewing make sure they are all facing the same direction


Lay the 3.5" Primary on top

sew them all to the same side :)

& press open.

Repeat with all seven sets.



4. This time you'll add the 5" strip to your sewn block. Use the pieces you have layed out to reference which side. From this point on the strip you add will always be added to the side where it touches three strips. All the other sides only have 2 on the outside. (If that doesn't make sense don't worry! Just continue to use your layout and place your blocks carefully :) ) Your blocks are getting big enough now that it will be hard to lay them out individually for chain sewing. Instead you can simply stack your sewn block's so they face all the same direction & line up the new strip next to it on the side that it will be sewn to.




And just put each set together as you sew them. As long as they're lined up right it works just fine :) You'll continue adding strips in this manner using the block layout as a reference.
You've now got your first 2 rows of your log cabin up! (I'm including the center square :) )




5. Add the 5" Secondary color strip




6. Add the 6.5" Secondary color strip




7. Add the 6.5" Primary color strip




8. Add the 8" Primary color strip




9. Add the 8" Secondary color strip (sorry forgot my picture :oops: )



10. Add the 9.5" Secondary color strip




11. Add the 9.5" Primary color strip




12. Add the 11" Primary color strip





Hurray! You did it! What do you think of my block? I can't wait to see your's!!!
Let me know if you have any questions! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment